100K Celebratory "Render" Teaser

I promised that I would give a teaser for Render in celebration of reaching 100,000 downloads of Shatter. The only opinions on what kind of teaser I should give came from my family.  So, here it is, a Caleb & Talise scene from my forthcoming novel, Render.  Enjoy!

The normal fluid grace of Talise’s movements seemed stilted as their horses picked their way down into the ravine.  Although she rode more rigidly than was typical, her movements still would have appeared smooth and natural to anyone who did not know her.  The more palpable Talise’s pain became the more it stoked the fire building in the pit of Caleb’s gut.  For now, though, all he could do was wait.
As their mounts reached the bottom of the hill, sharp lines of moonlight broke through the intersecting tree branches.  The leaves had begun turning weeks ago here in northern Taronpia and some already carpeted the floor.  Caleb watched the puffs of steam from his breath as the wet smell of decay drifted up from the valley of the ravine.  Winter was coming.
The steep sides of the ravine closed them in, herding them along the dry creek bed.  Up ahead, the valley ended abruptly into a jagged cliff face like something had driven the rocks into the ground.  Shadows, cast by several small fires, jumped high along the cliff.  Though the noise coming from the cliffs was subdued, Caleb still managed to catch the muted sounds of a fiddle and a mandolin.  He smiled.  Even when faced with losing odds, the Deoraghan rarely lost their spirit.  Although, since the odds seldom favored them, maybe they understood better than most the necessity of hope. 
As soon as the fires had come into sight, Caleb knew that the Tribe's scouts were targeting them.  He rode with the reins wrapped around one hand as he held out his arms to show he was unarmed.  Well, at least, that he wasn’t holding a weapon at the moment.  Talise had done the same.  
A series of whistles rang down the hollow and they approached the camp without any opposition.  When they reached the cluster of caravans, several armed men waited for them silhouetted by the firelight.

Comments

  1. I have $7 left on my giftcard at Amazon. I refuse to buy anything else with it until this book comes out......hint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thank you for the sneak peak! I just finished shatter and really, you created something amazing. I'm in love with each character and while I'm sad that Render isn't out yet, I'm sure my boyfriend will be a bit happy to know he can get me off of my Kindle now. Thank you for the gift of your imagination and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thank you so much for the kind words, Bree! I'm just happy that other people enjoy this world and these characters as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts